When you are buying a Virginia horse farm don't forget about winter. Much of the time when you are out looking at farms and estates it is a beautiful spring or fall day. It is important to remember that you will be out working on that farm in cold snowy winter weather.
There are many features that can make life on a Virginia horse farm easier during the cold winter months.
- Frost free water spigots
- Electric lines to the paddocks for water trough heaters
- Frost free automatic waters in the paddocks
- A barn design that can be closed up so that the horses can stay warm in the coldest weather (of course with a little ventillation)
- A heated tack room and office
- A wash rack with hot water
- Plenty of paddocks close to the barn
- Run-in sheds in the fields
- And the ultimate winter feature: an indoor arena attached to the barn
What features make life on your Virginia horse property easier in the winter?